A 203-year-old bridge that connects England and Scotland has been recognised as an International Historic Engineering Landmark.
The Union Chain Bridge, which connects the two nations across the River Tweed, is the oldest vehicle-carrying catenary bridge in the world.
When it was built in 1820, it was the longest span bridge in the world, at 133 metres.
To celebrate the structure’s reopening on July 6 after a £10.5m refurbishment, a plaque marking its landmark status was unveiled by the American and Japanese Societies of Civil Engineers (ASCE, JSCE), the Institution of Structural Engineers and the ICE.
The refurbishment work was paid for by Northumbrian County Council, Scottish Borders Council, and heritage sources including the National Lottery Heritage Fund and the ‘Friends’ of the bridge, who raised £300,000.
Former ICE Gold Medallist winner and ICE Fellow Professor Roland Paxton and the Friends of the Union Chain Bridge, of which he is patron, were instrumental in the refurbishment and preservation efforts.
Extracted from ICE website, read more here